• Jenny O'Donnell

How a bunch of Flowers could be life Threatening to your Cat!

Updated: May 20


There are numerous plants that have the potential to be poisonous to your cat however very few are as toxic as Lilies (Lilium spp and Hemerocallis spp)

Lilies are extremely toxic to cats and may even be fatal if not treated.

Toxicity occurs from the ingestion or chewing of the plant,even the smallest amount can be catastrophic.

Lily ingestion may cause complete renal failure in 32 -76 hours and should be treated as an emergency. Veterinary attention be sought immediately.

Initial signs and symptoms include:

-Vomiting

-Depression

-Lethargy

-Disinterest in food

-No urination

Owners should make sure their cats never have access to lilies of any kind to prevent toxicity however should it occur the key to successful treatment is early veterinary treatment and management of the kidney failure that will ensue.


Address

332 Princes Hwy
Bulli, 2516
Australia

Contact

Follow us on

  • Black Instagram Icon

©2017 by Northern Illawarra Veterinary Hospital. Proudly servicing all of the Northern Illawarra including Fairy Meadow, Balgownie, Tarrawanna, Towradgi, Corrimal, Fernhill, Russell Vale, Bellambi, Woonona, Bulli, Thirroul, Austinmer, Coledale, Wombarra, Coal Cliff, Clifton to Stanwell Park.